The next few steps required:
- a blank, navy American Apparel ladies' T
- 8.5 x 11 freezer paper and a digital printer
- x-acto knife
- electric iron
- scrap paper and cardboard
- acrylic paint, brushes and fabric medium
John and I had some cold-pressed coffee & beer while I spent the next hour or so cutting out the stencils.
With the stencils ready, I prepped the shirt and paint. Stuck a piece of freezer paper inside the shirt to stop any paint from bleeding through, along with some pages from a magazine. All of the paints were acrylics mixed about 1:1 with fabric medium.
I did a couple tests on paper to make sure they looked right and worked together. Ironed the first stencil and put on a new layer of paint every couple hours. I let the whole thing dry overnight before starting the next layer.
I needed to heat set the first layer before doing the next, so I ironed the design while covering it with paper to prevent it from melting. Everything seemed to be going well. It was then that I realized that the second stencil no longer matched up quite perfectly.
John helped stretch the shirt to get it to match up as well as could be. There's a little warble in the final design, but sometimes that handmade aesthetic isn't such a bad thing.